Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Save The Patty's Game Review

I love Spongebob so coming up with the game concept was very easy for me. As far as the images were concerned, it was mainly a process of google searching character images, scaling them down in photoshop and removing whatever background they had. The background was a custom creation to look like the sky they have in the show, so that took a little bit more time on my part to compile.

The music selection and explosions were tougher to determine exactly what I wanted to do. But I decided that, because they're underwater, fiery explosions did not make much sense so I switched them to bubbles. With that I found images of bubbles to complete the effect.

For me, the most frustrating part of this game was trying to change the bottom bar. Since there are a few different elements to it (the lives, the health bar, the game icon) it was tough to get everything aligned just right. Another struggle I faced was getting the explosions to work properly. Originally you could not see the animation but the sound was working, but I eventually figured out that I had to extend the animation for longer because it was just happening so quickly that you could not see it.

Creating the game was easy because it was mostly a matter of swapping out images and sounds from our tutorial. However, the tutorial was definitely difficult and took a long time to complete. Struggling through that and spending hours creating a simple game like this definitely makes me appreciate game makers and how complicated complex video games must be to create. Also, it makes me realize that this is definitely not a field I'm ever going to venture into. Although interesting, it just seems wayyyy too frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment